Background- not too long after marrying Mike this summer, God seriously started digging into my heart about being a Godly wife. I've felt him grooming me in this way for a couple years but the ring was there, the vows were exchanged and God said "Leah, get busy and be intentional about it."
Amen!
In my pursuit I prayed for a mentor...a women whose marriage I admired and whose heart had the same desire as mine. God brought Diane to my mind and I asked her to come along side me in this journey to being the wife God designed me to be. She invited me to Grace North Church in Anthem for a series that their women's ministry was starting. The ministry is called the 10/10 Connection and is based on the principle that every woman should be mentored by someone ten years older and be mentoring someone ten years younger. The series is all about the home and how God describes the woman's role in the home. (Now let us really set the feminist movement aside and embrace the precious truth here).
The first week was about dignity and peace. Whether you are married, single, divorced, widowed, a teenager etc, you have a responsibility to be THE GATEKEEPER OF YOUR HOME. I love that! I knew that God was telling me I am responsible for making my home a place of rest, relaxation, peace, restoration, forgiveness, order, truth. Out of these homes come families that seek the Lord first in all things.
Enter second month: The Also Principle/Priorities. In our home, the also priniciple doesn't imply to just do more, it implies being intentional to go the extra mile especially when it's not convenient. My common excuse not to apply the also principle is "I'm so tired, I don't have time." Really, that's called laziness, also more commonly known as procrastination. An example of the also prinicple for me that God has specifically put on my heart is
Do the laundry...and ALSO fold and put it away.
Clean the toothpaste out of the sink...and ALSO remember to put the toothbrush and paste back in the drawer.
Priority Management:
This is not time management or multitaking. I am talking about putting the life in order.
1. Fear of the Lord-
2. Husband- (if you're married, if not it's relationship with God)
3. Home- what came first, the home with your husband or the children?
4. Children- children come after the home and husband because they need to be taught that they fit into the fmaily; they are a part of it, not the center of it.
5. Private Life
6. Public Life
We tend to get these all mixed up. We aren't making time for the Lord, our home is in shambles, we aren't communicating with our husbands, but we are making sure our children make it to the playground or soccer practice to keep them happy and feeling loved. That's not right. God came first in your life (or should since He created you). You husband was given to you, you care for him above all things and God will honor that. Typically, a home is started with your husband so your responsibility should be to maintain a sanctuary of love and a haven of peace. The usually come children, they are special but they are not more important than your husband and your home. They are a part of that unit, not the focus and center of it. Then take care of you privately, then worry about what you do outside the home- serving at church etc.
This is such a mouth full and I know so many people will probably disagree but I've seen the fruit of being an intentional wife who strives to fear the Lord in all things, honor and serve her husband before herself, and maintain a home of dignity where children are obedient and others are served. I'm still working on these things but I know women who have these priorities straight and it's a beautiful thing.
I think it should be Love the Lord not Fear the Lord.
ReplyDeleteFearing the Lord doesn't meaning being afraid of Him, it means being in awe of Him and from that awe comes an outpouring of love. Loving the Lord is a result of our obedience to His will and desire for our life.
ReplyDelete