10.09.2010

Seeing myself through others' eyes

I'm not going to lie, this title was spurred by my recent viewing of Avatar but I was thinking about the theme song a bit and it intrigued me.  I've had many people tell me that my view of reality is rather distorted.  I interpret life and people through my perspective (and so does everyone else) but my perspective isn't usually accurate.  In light of that, I have to be really careful how I take emails, comments, looks, remarks, and body language from people around me.  I wondered how others see me though...

I fee like I'm either really good at seeing my mistakes, my faults, my shortcomings, my least becoming qualities...or I see myself as better than I am.  I think I'm a better wife than I am or a better teacher.  I think I am more understanding that I really am or a better friend.  Either way, what do other people really see?  I asked my bf, Amber this once and I'm not sure she really knew how to answer me.  I think about the love and understanding my husband rains on me and I'm dumbfounded because I just snapped at him for not taking the trash out.  Some of friends are amazingly gracious if I haven't called in a while or drop the ball on our friendship and I don't understand why (although I am so grateful).

There are people in my life with the capacity to see me in ways I can't see myself.  I want to see myself through their eyes, through God's eyes.  Everyday it is reconfirmed that God has chosen and designed me for Michael because he sees me without my imperfections and faults.  How is that?  What would I look like through others' eyes?

1 comment :

  1. I don't think it matters how you look through others' eyes, because you can never make everyone happy. I was stuck on this a few years ago, and all it gave me was increasing self-doubt and feelings of inadequacy. Keep believing in yourself. Just smile, tell yourself you are amazing and use that energy to show your love to those around you, help kids reach their potential and improve your world.
    You are an amazing friend and an inspiration to me! Honestly, I don't think I would have had the will to join Weight Watchers, and lose 20 pounds, if I had not seen your example.

    ReplyDelete