2.21.2011

Universal Truths as learned from 13 year olds

After returning from my second leadership conference but first time planning the trip out-of-state I realize that I've learned some important truths about teenagers and trips:

1. If you put 4 13 year olds in one room and 3 12 year olds in another and those rooms are conjoining, they WILL consider the two rooms ONE large bedroom.

2. 4 girls will share a bed with  no problem, 4 boys will not. They will opt for the floor, the closet, or the bathtub

3.  4 cell phone alarms being set will ultimately equal none of them going off on time.

4. if hotel staff leaves an extra roll of toilet paper in the bathroom, that is automatically interpreted as wrapping for a person.

5. if you ask students to save seats, one should specify that those seats should be saved for the rest of your group.

6. No matter how many times you ask students to hold on to their room keys, they will start disappearing mysteriously throughout the weekend.

7. If you challenge students to rise to a standard and set an example for others, they will do it.

8. It is sometimes more beneficial to choose to NOT ask questions.

 Interestingly these are the same truths that myself and all my classmates taught our teachers when we were 13 years old but apparently I forgot until I was the one learning the lessons. I gladly repeat this weekend again!

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #4 and #2 is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have a lot of fun and even though I am exhausted and the weekend took months of planning I would gladly do it again

    ReplyDelete