I don't put much credence in the deeper meaning of dreams in that I won't sit here and use the stars and New Agey type devices to wiggle out the true meaning of my dreams. With that said, I'd really love to understand why I have some of the same dreams over and over and over and over...get my point? What's worse, I have the same nightmares over and over and over and over.
Here's a few:
1. I frequently teach in my sleep, which really isn't a surprise because, well I'm a teacher. Oddly though I'm always aware that I'm in my bedroom and quite frequently not properly dressed to be teaching. I get frustrated that my students are in my bedroom and I have to order them to wait for me in the kitchen while I change. This happens all the time, so weird.
2. I find myself in bathrooms. Most people know of my abnormal and incredibly irrational fear of toilets. You would think that sleeping and not being in a bathroom would be a safe place but not so much. Many of my dreams even if they are not nightmares include me getting lost in a bathroom full of stalls with some of the most terrifying toilets ever and I either keep opening a stall door thinking that it's the exit or I have to use the bathroom and can't find a normal toilet. Sheesh, if I could just get past this weird phobia of mine maybe they would stop making cameos in my dreams...almost every night.
3. Childhood recurring dream #1- my mom and I would go through a drive through but instead of us getting food, my mom would have her toes cut off and replaced with bells. Then she would prop her feet up on the dash and wiggle her toes. Not even joking and I had this dream for years as a child.
4. Childhood recurring dream #2- It would always start in my dad's house. There would be a whole bunch of us (family of different ages) and we'd go outside where suddenly everyone would disappear. A man who was a mix of Ted Danson and Jason from Friday the 13th appear and chase me through the house. I'd always go to hide under my dad's bed, which should have been impossible because it was a water bed. The dream would always end the same way, with me in the living room realizing that I couldn't run anymore so I would lay down on the floor and stare up at the turning fan waiting for Ted/Jason to come and kill me. Then I'd wake up. Again, this dream happened over and over for years as a child/teen.
5. Water nightmares- I've had tons of dreams not around drowning but around being engulfed in ginormous bodies of water. For example, I might be at a pool and suddenly a wave like a mile high would come up out of the pool and crash over the top of me. There were variations but it always had the same theme.
6. Ghosts- I don't believe in them, not at all. I don't believe in ghosts of people wandering around and haunting people. I believe the Bible is very clear that when we die our physical body is gone and our soul or spirit will either go to Heaven or Hell. Now I'm not looking to get into a theological debate with anyone but it's important to understanding this bizarre nightmare to know that I don't believe in ghosts. With that said, I have this nightmare ALL THE TIME now as an adult where I'll be in a house and I know that something evil is around me. The icy cold shiver described in weird shows like Ghost Hunters will steal over me and paralyzing fear grips me. To make it worse, I somehow know I'm dreaming and cannot wake up. I remember even how I feel with eerie clarity once I am awake and still have the same coldness in me. They always end the same way, with me huddled somewhere like on a couch chanting the mantra, "In the name of Jesus I command you to go away. At the name of Jesus the devil must flee" over and over and over. Whew...I hate this night mare.
So even though I don't know if there really is a deeper meaning to any of these, I'd really love to know how to make them go away! God help me, pregnancy makes them a million time worse. Apparently we dream only during our REM cycles, which can happen up to 5 times a night. Luckily I only have to remember the last dream I had. I know that people have suggested meditation or praying or reading something positive before I fall asleep. I can and have done all those things but the dreams are still there and I still wish I knew why the recurring ones happen like they do.
I'd love some insight...
I am convinced that most of the time, our dreams are a collection of things we are trying to process. The more you have going on in your life, I think, the more you dream. Think of the dreams as metaphor and you may see them differently. You have experienced things coming at your with your babies that are extraordinary. Something comes out of nowhere and all of a sudden you are deluged. If you have any time to journal (with a pen and spiral notebook) that might help to process some of these things so they don't pop up in your head while you're sleeping.
ReplyDeleteHa ha, my profile picked up a screen name I use on a basketball forum.
ReplyDelete