Have you ever thought about how another person's reaction to seeing you makes you feel? For some reason this has been on my mind lately as a teacher and as a friend. At school I stand outside my door when my kids are coming in and I've noticed my students' reaction depending on how I greet them. When I am sort of blase in my greeting and lazy smile, they return the same reaction. However, two of my 8th graders rounded the corner, I got so excited to see them (it wasn't an act) and you should have seen the look on their face.
On the other side, I just saw two different friends. One of them gave me a huge smile and was seemed really happy to see me. The other while I'm sure what also happy to see me as she usually is, did not seem today particularly excited that I was there and I realized inside of myself how differently that felt.
So the lesson I learn from this experience is that I'm not sure we realize the impact that our passion for people can invoke in them. People might tend to label me as too exuberant or emotional but I get to experience first hand how a person's face lights up when I take my excitement level up a notch.
No comments :
Post a Comment