3.05.2009

March $ Schools

Yesterday there were thousands of people that showed up to the state capitol to protest the cuts being made to public education. It was amazing to be a part of such a movement. Even though we only have 8 schools in our district, we were third largest represented district at the march, which makes me so sad. I can't tell if people don't know what's about to happen to their schools, jobs and children, if they think they can't make a difference or if they don't care.

This affects absolutely everyone regardless of political party, if you are a teacher or educator, or if you have kids. It is going to increase our statewide unemployment rate dramatically. These are cuts are bound to devastate the life of at least one person you know...already know more than I can count on both hands and it puts a nasty knot in my stomach because our state legislators are just letting it happen. That's why events that happened yesterday is so important.

Today our district released the proposed cuts for next year. Some of the hardest cuts to see was eliminating all school nurses and librarians. No more counselors at elementary schools. Teachers can't have more than 4 days a year with coverage from a sub. After that, they will start pulling other teachers to cover your classes, which eliminates prep time for everyone during the day. They are cutting our mechanics so if the buses that our students are on break down, they will stay there for a while until someone can fix it. They are putting 25 resource children in one classroom and cutting up 18 teachers and aides in special ed alone. They are increasing all class sizes so we will have up to 35 students at the middle school level. It goes on and on and on. You should find out what is happening in the district you live in, work in, or send your children to school in.

Big wammie! They are cutting full day kinder in our 3 non-title 1 schools and offering it by tuition only.

Below is a link to live news footage of the March where you can see a ton of people from my district plus I posted the videos I took while we were there.

I know God is sovereign and in control and I have to be honest...it's all I can hold on to right now.

http://www.azfamily.com/video/geaz-index.html?nvid=338406&shu=1





No comments :

Post a Comment