I have wanted to make something to display K's bows since before she was born but I just didn't want the typical hanging ribbon from a flower. I saw this and fell in love... Also because her new room will be gray and pink.
I took at trip to Hobby Lobby for the following materials:
Picture frame (I did 11 x 14 but the size is up to you) cost $16
Fabric I loved the gray Damask from the example so I sought that out and had the lady at the counter figure out exactly how much to cut. I need 3/8 of yard. Cost $1.83
Ribbon again I wanted pink see through ribbon. Cost $2. I still have quite a bit left, which I'm sure I will continue to use in K's new room.
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Measuring tape
Here's what I bought to start:
Fist thing was to take the frame apart. You won't need the glass at all.
You will see here that the fabric is just enough to cover the frame back and it is doubled over
The fabric was a little longer than I needed so I trimmed before I started, keeping in mind where the hanging pegs are on the frame
Then, I glued the sides first using hot glue. I used a liberal amount but be careful because you will feel the heat through the fabric.
Since the fabric is doubled you will also want to put a dab of glue under the top layer as well. That way the fabric stays tight.
To glue the top and bottom, I did triangle corners (like you would if you were wrapping a present). This makes the material tighter and thicker.
Fabric done!
Next is to add the ribbon. I used a tape measure to figure out the full distance around the frame. For my frame and material it was 15 inches
Next I needed to measure and decide how many ribbon strips to include. For this size frame and ribbon, 4 worked great, they are spaced 1 1/2 inches apart
I laid a tape measure on the table and placed my strips of ribbon and frame board against it to keep the ribbons evenly spaced as I glued them down.
All the ribbon is on!
Almost done. Carefully press the board back into the frame
Done!
You will notice my finished product is a little different from the example but I'm very pleased. I did not include the hanging bow at the top because it will get smashed in the move plus I'm not sure how I want to hang it yet so ill add that later.
Total cost: less than $20
















No comments :
Post a Comment