Something ironic occurred to me today. Almost 12 weeks ago I accomplished, achieved, did (whatever action verb you'd like to insert here) the most miraculous event a human can do (in my opinion). I gave birth to my daughter. What is more incredible than God enabling women to provide the perfect incubator for new life? The intricacies and detail that go into knitting together a baby astound me and I had the honor and blessing to participate. The irony is that not one day has gone by where I haven't despised the look and condition of my body as a result of the pregnancy. I scrutinize, criticize, complain about, cry over, and put down every saggy, stretched, larger, and overall changed part of my body. The same body that carried and brought my angel into the world is the same body I detest now. How is that possible????
A while back a friend of mine told me that people frequently talk about the sacrifices you make when you have a baby: time, finances, freedom. Rarely do people talk about the physical sacrifice. Some women love being pregnant and some don't but regardless of how you feel about it or while you are pregnant, it is a sacrifice. I have such a negative view of this sacrifice though. Did Jesus not make a sacrifice on the cross? God made me for the purpose of manifesting His glory and one way I am supposed to do that is through child-bearing. I'm not opposed to the need to get my body back in shape but I do seriously need an attitude adjustment.
While driving home, the song "More Beautiful You" by Jonny Diaz came on Klove. I hear this song all the time but today the lyrics to the chorus spoke to my heart.
There could never be a more beautiful you
Don't buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you
I was not more beautiful when I was thinner. I was not more beautiful when I was pregnant. I am just as beautiful now. I know I'm not the only mom who struggles with this. I hope other women continue to find the same hope and motivation that God is showing me.
Love that song. And love how it inspired you. You are beautiful, inside and out!
ReplyDelete